STEMcx, in partnership with Bmore NOMA, is seeking host firms for the Summer Practicum for underrepresented minority (URM) high school students during the summer of 2023. This program is created to inspire this URM community in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines and give them positive experiences that will hopefully last a lifetime. Practicums place URM high school students in eight-week paid summer experiences working directly with educators, local companies, and community organizations in STEM areas. STEMcx is seeking architecture firms in the Baltimore region to host one intern for one 4-hour session to include shadowing experiences, design exercises, one-on-one discussions with team members, or construction tours. Firms only need to commit to one 4-hour session.
Considering sponsorship! Your contribution will cover the cost of one architecture intern for:
- A summer stipend for 8 weeks with 4 hours of engagement per day at $13.50 per hour
- A week-long trip to North Carolina for several college visits and a day of activities with the NC State University College of Design
- Several additional architecture related tours including Reginald Lewis Museum, Hammond House and Fallingwater
- Weekly onsite visits with local architectural firms
- Instruction through NOMA’s pipeline program
- Community engagement with the Neighborhood Design Center. The final intern project will be completed in conjunction with the Neighborhood Design Center
- LEED curriculum instruction for each student with the opportunity to take the LEED Exam at the end of the internship experience.
E-mail STEMcx chair Sandy Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to learn more about hosting an intern for a day or sponsoring the program.
Check out last summer’s program here: https://www.stemcx.org/programs/paid-internship