The School Facilities Architect Manager will supervise the activities of the Architects in the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) Office of School Facilities and provide guidance in the conduct of the architects’ design reviews and evaluations of funding requests. The Manager will be responsible for reviewing design submissions and funding requests for their assigned local education agencies (LEAs) as well as assisting in the development of facilities guidelines.
The incumbent will coordinate the Office’s work on the Nonpublic Aging Schools Program, represent the Office when the Executive Director is unavailable, and provide technical assistance as needed to other divisions of MSDE, member agencies of the Interagency Commission on School Construction, other State agencies, and local leadership.
Salary: up to $144,573 annually
- Review and comment on educational specifications and feasibility studies.
- Recommend approval or disapproval on schematic design, design development, construction document, and contract award submissions.
- Act as a liaison among LEAs, parents, advocacy groups, and State agencies on school construction issues.
- Provide training and assistance on aspects of design review specific to school facilities.
- Perform general supervisory tasks such as timesheets, leave approvals, travel and reimbursements, and performance evaluations.
- Coordinate with MSDE divisions, IAC member agencies and other State agencies.
- Provide technical assistance to Nonpublic Aging Schools grant recipients.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a technical or engineering discipline such as Architecture, Engineering, Construction Project Management, or a related field.
Experience: Six years of experience in facilities design, construction and planning, 2 years of which must include the direct supervision of other professional staff. Professional license in Architecture or Engineering is required.
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s).
- Experience in Educational or K-12 facilities planning.
- Knowledge of construction codes and state and local regulations regarding building and planning of school buildings.
- Experience developing design guidelines/standards, facility programs, or feasibility studies.
- Demonstrating strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to effectively connect with a broad collaborator group with varying degrees of functional expertise.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, prioritize and plan work activities while meeting respective deadlines.